19 November 2012

Openness

On 11 November 2012, my first patch to jQuery-UI landed in the project. It was not the world's greatest pull request, nor was it the best code ever written (by a long shot).  But it was important. Not because I get my name on a change log somewhere, or that I will now conquer to world with my open source prowess. Its important because it is another tiny step in the massive open source snowball that wins. It wins big. The open web as we know it has spiraled out of openness and open source projects. The documentation that I turn to regularly and have contributed to is open and invites new contributors each day. There are countless open initiatives in the world these days - and by no means are these all software related - these encourage the scientist in us all to submit pull requests, change direction and assert for the greater good. If you have a passion, pursue it. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment